So I have alway's imagined what my child's first day of school would be like. You know, waving goodbye as the bus drives away holding back tears. Yeah, SO not what happened! Now I have been having a huge reservations about the bus. All the people who evaluated Ayden kinda of pushed the bus, especially with the baby coming. It is a special bus that has seat belts and is supposed to pick him up right outside our apartment (Brian and I had a little laugh last night realizing that our kid would be riding the short bus :) But hey, no shame in that!). I finally decided that it would be a good thing and that if I'm gonna have him ride it I should start the first day of school, so we aren't changing things on him. So I wake Ayden up this morning for his very first day of school, make him a big yummy breakfast and head outside to wait for the bus. We waited, and we waited, and then we waited some more! Finally I went back upstairs to call transportation and see what the heck was taking so long. I call and they call the bus driver who said he already stopped by at 7:50. He had just stopped by the front of the apartment complex instead of coming around to us like they told us he would! Now it's 8:20, school started at 8:00 and we had been waiting outside since 7:35! I asked the lady on the phone where I was supposed to pick him up and she said she didn't know and that I should just wait at the front of the apartment and then talk to the bus driver about where the official pick-up would be. So, I run Ayden over to school (without a shower, or makeup, and extremely sweaty from waiting outside for an hour) and drop him off late, ON HIS FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! I felt terrible having things start off so badly. After about an hour and a half at home I get in the car and drive to the front of the apartment building. I wait out front for what seem's like forever (it kind of was, 25 minutes) and decide to go back to the car and get my phone to call the transportation people once again. As I'm about to call them I get an incoming call, it's from the school! The teacher saw me drop Ayden off and I guess thought that I was gonna pick him up so they didn't put him on the bus! Holy freakin cow! So now it's 25 minutes after school has ended and I rush to pick him up. Okay, so now I'm feeling like an AWFUL mom thinking of him sitting alone in the office waiting for me on his first day of school. I go in and Ayden is super excited to see me and the office lady couldn't have been nicer. She said things like this happen on the first few day's of school before things get straightened out (which I'm not really sure I believe).



5 comments:
It is normal for there to be glitches the first week. Hopefully you won"t have anymore mix ups. Glad he seemed to like it :)
Oh Marie! At least he's too young to be traumatized by a crazy 1st day. You may take a while to get over it and feel comfortable in the communication between the transportation people and you {totally understandable!!}, but I think he'll be fine. And maybe it will be better that he got to see all the kids getting on the bus first, so now he knows what to expect. Good luck!!
Oh, that would make me feel horrible too, but it wasn't your fault. Poor guy! Look how exhausted he is! He looks so grown up though. Wow. Hope you're feeling good - we're almost there (right?)!
I'm sorry Marie. What a crazy day, hopefully that will be the only crazy day with pick ups and drop offs. I'm very impressed that he seems to be going to school w/out getting upset that you are leaving him there. Yeah for his happiness, which in turn is your happiness.
ok, I am not a blog stalker:) I found you through tiffany's blog! I graduated with brian and was wondering if you could email me your mailing addres. We are trying to get our10 yr. stuff out to every one. thanks so much!!
bkbhawkins at aznex dot net ( i spelled so i don't get spammed)
sad story of your little boys first day...por thing!
Post a Comment